MATL Application Requirements
Applicants are able to upload all items listed below within the online application – except for transcripts.
- Complete the online application and pay $50 application fee (pay at the end of the online application). See MATL “Apply Now” button at online.gonzaga.edu and follow the instructions given.
- Submit one official transcript from each college or university attended. Students must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution to be eligible for this program.
- If GPA falls below a 3.0 please include an explanation of GPA statement.
- If you previously attended Gonzaga or are a current student, please note that GU transcripts are ordered by you admissions counselor on your behalf.
Mail official transcripts to:
Virtual Campus Admissions
502 E. Boone Avenue
Spokane, WA 99258-0068
- A minimum of two recommenders Request letters of recommendation through the online application. Your references will be contacted directly by us via email with directions for submitting their letters of recommendation and evaluation checklist on your behalf. Provide a minimum of two recommenders who can evaluate your leadership, interpersonal skills, critical thinking, judgment, professional practice, and your ability and capacity to complete a graduate degree. Please note: recommendations from family members are not accepted.
- Writing Sample A three to five page piece of the applicant’s written academic work. A complete paper is not required; it should be a piece of what the applicant considers a good example of his/her writing and research ability.
- Statement of Purpose Submit and essay that is well written, organized, and approximately one page in length. It must also include the following:
- A description of your interests in theology and leadership.
- An assessment of your current strengths and describe what you hope to gain from the Master of Arts in Theology and Leadership program.
- Entrance exam (recommended but not required) – Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is recommended but not required. If you choose to submit an MAT or GRE as part of your application package, please submit the official score to Gonzaga. (scores older than 5 years are not considered valid).
The M.A. in Theology and Leadership Program is now offering scholarships for new students. Click here to download the Scholarship Application. For more information about these scholarships please inquire with the admissions department at 1-866-380-5323.
International Application Requirements
- International students must submit the above documentation and the following items:
- Submission of foreign transcripts in the original language and also in English.
- Proof of English proficiency which can be satisfied by one of the following options:
- An official TOEFL score of 88 ibt, 580 (written) OR an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher OR successful completion of Gonzaga University’s ESL program.
- Completed Financial Declaration with original supporting bank statements.
*Applicants may be eligible for advanced standing of up to 6 credits for related graduate work as determined by the graduate program director(s). Applicants seeking advanced standing must petition the graduate director(s) in writing at the time of application.