- The MATL program is designed for all levels of experience including those already in a ministry or mission-oriented position or those interested in moving into this type of vocation.
- Students must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution to be eligible for this program.
- An application is not complete and will not be evaluated until all materials have been received by the Gonzaga University Virtual Campus Admissions office. Materials or fees submitted to another party do not constitute application to the program.
- Applicants may be eligible for advanced standing of up to 6 credits for related graduate work as determined by the graduate program director(s). Applicants seeking advanced standing must petition the graduate director(s) in writing at the time of application.
Applicants must submit the following materials:
- Complete the online application and pay $50 application fee (pay at the end of the online application).
- Provide documentation of an earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Submit one official transcript from each college or university attended.
- If GPA falls below a 3.0 please include an explanation of GPA statement.
- If you previously attended Gonzaga or are a current student, please note that GU transcripts are ordered by the Graduate Admissions Office on your behalf.
Mail official transcripts to:
Virtual Campus Admissions
502 E. Boone Avenue
Spokane, WA 99258-0068
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation from individuals who can evaluate the applicant’s leadership, interpersonal skills, critical thinking, judgment and capacity to complete a graduate degree (e.g. supervisor, professional colleague, or professor).Once you have completed and submitted your application, your references will be contacted directly by us via email with directions for submitting their letters of recommendation and evaluation checklist on your behalf. Please note: recommendations from family members are not accepted. Letter of recommendation requests are submitted through the online application.
- Writing Sample A three to five page piece of the applicant’s written academic work. A complete paper is not required; it should be a piece of what the applicant considers a good example of his/her writing and research ability.
- Statement of Purpose This essay must be well written, organized, and approximately one page in length. It must also include the following:
- A description of your interests in theology and leadership.
- An assessment of your current strengths and describe what you hope to gain from the Master of Arts in Theology and Leadership program.
- Entrance exam (recommended but not required) – Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is recommended but not required. If you choose to submit an MAT or GRE as part of your application package, please submit the official score to Gonzaga. (scores older than 5 years are not considered valid).
- International students must submit the above documentation and the following items:
- Submission of foreign transcripts in the original language and also in English.
- Proof of English proficiency which can be satisfied by one of the following options:
- An official TOEFL score of 88 ibt, 580 (written) OR an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher OR successful completion of Gonzaga University’s ESL program.
- Completed Financial Declaration with original supporting bank statements.