Students must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution to be eligible for this program.
Applicants may be eligible for advanced standing of up to 6 credits for related graduate work as determined by the graduate program director(s). Applicants seeking advanced standing must petition the graduate director(s) in writing at the time of application.
MATL Application Requirements
Applicants are able to upload all items listed below within the online application – except for transcripts.
Pay $50 application fee (pay at the end of the online application).
Submit one official transcript from each college or university attended.
- If your cumulative GPA falls below a 3.0 please include an explanation of GPA statement.
- If you previously attended Gonzaga or are a current student, please note that GU transcripts are ordered by your admissions counselor on your behalf.
Mail official transcripts to:
Virtual Campus Admissions
502 E. Boone Avenue
Spokane, WA 99258-0068
Request a minimum of 2 letters of recommendation through the online application. Your references will be contacted directly by us via email with directions for submitting their letters of recommendation and evaluation checklist on your behalf. Provide a minimum of two recommenders who can evaluate your leadership, interpersonal skills, critical thinking, judgment, professional practice, and your ability and capacity to complete a graduate degree. Please note: recommendations from family members are not accepted.
Submit a three to five page piece of the applicant’s written academic work. A complete paper is not required; it should be a piece of what the applicant considers a good example of his/her writing and research ability.
Statement of Purpose
Submit an essay that is well written, organized, and approximately one page in length. It must also include the following:
- a description of your interests in theology and leadership
- An assessment of your current strengths
- A description what you hope to gain from the Master of Arts in Theology and Leadership program.
Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is recommended but not required. If you choose to submit an MAT or GRE as part of your application package, please submit the official score to Gonzaga. Scores older than 5 years are not considered valid.
In addition to the above application requirements, international students must also submit the following documents:
Proof of English language
- TOEFL score of 88 or
- IELTS score of 6.5 or
- Verification of English language proficiency from the Gonzaga University ISSS office or
- an official recommendation from Gonzaga University’s English Language Center.
- Submission of foreign transcripts in the original language and a certified English copy and
- Official transcript/degree evaluation from Gonzaga University’s ISSS office or
- WES/ECE evaluation
Copy of passport picture page
- If the applicant does not have a passport, a copy of identification card from the home country is required.
Proof of Adequate Funding to Study in the US
Note: International students cannot receive an I-20 from enrolling in the online program; they must take courses at the Spokane campus. For more information on the International Student Program please call 509-313-6563.
Information is subject to change. Contact an Admission Counselor for further questions.
The M.A. in Theology and Leadership Program is now offering scholarships for new students. Click here to download the Scholarship Application. For more information about these scholarships please inquire with the admissions department at 1-866-380-5323.
Program information is subject to change. Contact an Admission Counselor for further questions.