BEYOND THE SYLLABUS
Women & Leadership
As women move into higher levels of leadership, it is essential to recognize, understand and transform gender challenges into career opportunities.
The M.A. in Communication & Leadership Studies program prepares women in leadership by guiding students through their own interests in contemporary women’s issues. And, by educating current leaders on such issues giving them the skills to empower women to confidently move into leadership positions.
Issue such as:
- Latina mentoring for leadership
- Gender differences in the computer mediated communication in the workplace
- Media representation of female leaders
- Body image and self esteem
- Sex trafficking
- Issues of combating domestic violence
Women & Leadership Elective
- Check back for dates or contact a Student Services Coordinator
This course will look at gender differences in leadership styles and efficacy as well as specific issues women face in attaining and retaining leadership positions. Through readings, discussions, and projects that critically examine images and gender stereotypes of women leaders, the course is designed to give students practical skills they can use to be better communicators and leaders.
- Learn how to use language and images effectively to frame important issues for social change
- Discuss current debates in popular culture about women in leadership
- Understand Feminine and Masculine speech patterns that lead to misunderstandings
- Learn how Nonverbal communication impacts gender performance
- Develop effective feminist leadership styles
- Learn skills to effectively present important messages in a variety of mediums