M.A. in Communication and Leadership Studies
The online or on campus M.A. in Communication and Leadership Studies program (COML) is grounded in communication theory, yet combines contemporary strategies to equip students with skills they can put to immediate use. At Gonzaga, we prepare effective, ethical communicators who use critical thinking for positive local and global change.
Unique features include:
- Concentrations in Strategic and Organizational Communication, International & Intercultural Communication, and College Teaching of Communication.
- Study abroad opportunities to gain global media and communication experience in places like Florence and Cagli, Italy, and Derry, Ireland.
- Visiting Scholars and industry experts who discuss cutting-edge work in communication.
- Workshop intensives to develop practical communication skills.
- Internship and service-learning possibilities to further promote practical experience.
- Partnership with the Northwest Alliance for Responsible Media.
The curriculum is designed to help students solve practical problems in their organizations and communities. It covers topics such as (but not limited to):
- Organizational communication
- Strategic corporate communication
- Consulting and training
- International and intercultural communication
- Media Literacy
- Digital and social media
- Communication ethics
- Interpersonal and small group communication
- Rhetorical criticism
- Communication teaching and pedagogy
Concentrations allow students to customize the curriculum to meet their professional needs and goals.