- Rolling Admissions: Remember, the COML Program admits on a rolling basis, which means there are many opportunities throughout the year for you to get started!
- Blended Offerings: Online and on-campus class offerings help meet the needs of working students.
- Small Class Sizes: Personal attention and collaboration are made possible in smaller course size.
- Competitive: Gain your M.A. in Communication & Leadership Studies without leaving your current job. Price per credit is competitive and at a great value.
Online Application Info: Filling out your online application is convenient and secure. You can create a profile and easily come back to continue where you left off. Before you proceed to the online application, you may want to review the Application Checklist below.
- Fall 2014 Session “B” Application Deadline – October 12th
Gonzaga University’s online and on-campus M.A. in Communication and Leadership Studies Program (COML) provides the opportunity to expand your expertise as a professional and achieve positions of leadership within your organization and field. Students enter the program with a desire to be better, be more, and do more. Perhaps you can relate if you are looking for growth, to perform better in your organization, enhance your career, and improve your communication effectiveness.
The COML program is designed for all levels of experience such as managers, directors, specialists, program managers, account managers, owners, associates and even recent B.A. graduates. Students must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution to be eligible for this program.
The flexibility of online classes enables students to maintain their homes, jobs, and relationships, while gaining the advanced knowledge and career skills they desire. The program goes beyond communication basics, it fine tunes communication practices in order to be highly effective within your organization.
This program is flexible – students can complete it solely online or take classes on campus. Here are the options:
- Online courses
- On-campus courses in Spokane, Washington (offered evenings and weekends for working professionals)
- A combination of the two (blended)
Applicants are able to upload all items listed below within the online application – except for transcripts.
- Complete the online application and pay $50 application fee (pay at the end of the online application). See COML “Apply Now” button at online.gonzaga.edu and follow the instructions given.
- Submit one official transcript from each college or university attended.
- If GPA falls below a 3.0 please include an explanation of GPA statement.
- If you previously attended Gonzaga or are a current student, please note that GU transcripts are ordered by the Graduate Admissions Office on your behalf.
- Mail official transcripts to:
Virtual Campus Admissions
502 E. Boone Avenue
Spokane, WA 99258-0068
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation from an employer, professional colleague or major professor that evaluate the applicant’s ability and capacity to complete a graduate degree.
- Statement of Purpose This essay must be a well written, organized, and no longer than 1,000 words. It must also include the following:
- describe the applicant’s interest in the Communication and Leadership Studies degree
- assess the applicant’s strengths, and
- describes what the applicant hopes to gain from this graduate degree.
- Resume of professional experience.
- The Official Score from the MAT or the GRE, which must be less than five years old or unless you have completed a Master’s degree.
- Prepare to take the MAT (Miller Analogies Test) if you have not taken a graduate entrance exam in the last 5 years or completed a Master’s degree. Go to www.milleranalogies.com or call 1-800-622-3231. Visit our Test Preparation page for more information.
International students must submit the above documentation and the following items:
- Submission of foreign transcripts in the original language and a certified English copy.
- An official TOEFL score of 88 ibt, 580 (written) OR an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher OR successful completion of Gonzaga University’s ESL program.
- A Financial Declaration Form and supporting bank statement.
- Note: International students cannot receive an I-20 from enrolling in the online program; they must take courses at the Spokane campus. For more information on the International Student Program please call 509-313-6563.
Military Student Information
Gonzaga University honors the service and sacrifices of the men and women in the military with special benefits and support to currently enlisted service members, members of the reserves, and their dependents.
Whether you are interested in moving your military career forward or are starting a new one following your enlistment, Gonzaga University offers several online programs that can help you make your ambitions a reality.
Benefits to Members of the Military
Gonzaga offers special benefits to members of the armed services, including a tuition discount of 10% to both active service members and members in the reserves, as well as their spouses. In addition, the flexibility and portability of our online programs make them ideal for those who face possible deployment and frequent moves.
To help answer your questions and work with you during your time with Gonzaga, we offer dedicated staff members to help you with processes related to the GI Bill and tuition reimbursement from the military.
You\’ll get to study alongside other students who are members of the military as well as learn from classmates with diverse experiences and backgrounds all over the world, making Gonzaga University the smart choice to help with your developing career in the military or your new one in the civilian sector.
To learn more about benefits and support available to members of the armed services, request more information or call us at (509) 313-6596.
Graduate Assistants are, first and foremost, graduate students pursuing an education. The opportunity to work closely with faculty members can be an integral part of that education.
Graduate students who hold assistantships benefit educationally and professionally. They gain further expertise in their field; enhance their research skills and develop pedagogical skills; acquire experience in leadership, interpersonal effectiveness, and performance evaluation.
Assistantships also provide graduate students with some financial help to pursue their degree. This financial support is part of the Gonzaga University’s commitment to the success of our graduate students.
There are a limited amount of Assistantship positions available and therefore tend to be highly competitive. For questions or to submit an application, please contact Marnie Broughton at 509-3133485 or email@example.com.
Please click the document below to download a pdf of Graduate Scholarship opportunities. This scholarship information is accurate as of May 1, 2013. Please check each website for current accuracy.
In support of our current and potential students, Gonzaga’s Financial Aid Office maintains a database of scholarships for students to access, search and apply for awards. Click here to search our list of scholarships.
Discounts - Armed Services, Federal Employees, Boeing
- Gonzaga offers a special benefit to members of the armed services – a tuition discount of 10% to both active service members and members in the reserves, as well as their spouses. The flexibility and portability of our online programs make them ideal for those who face possible deployment and frequent moves. Please provide a copy of your military ID card with your application.
- Gonzaga offers a 10% tuition discount to all federal employees. To receive this discount please send a copy of your federal ID card with your application.
- Gonzaga offers a 10% tuition discount to all Boeing employees. To receive this discount please send a copy of your employee ID card with your application.
Gonzaga’s online M.A. in Communication and Leadership Studies degree combines classic theories and their applications in a changing and dynamic workplace. Grounded in both global communication theory and leadership studies, this degree provides the qualified credentials you need to work in a variety of careers, fields and industries.
As new technologies emerge, organizations will be required to evolve their communication strategies and reassess how they communicate with their consumer audiences and internal colleagues. Globally, traditional mediums are becoming secondary to new communication channels like social media and digital advertising. All kinds of companies, from health care organizations to non-profits, need communication-savvy leaders who can put their organization on a path toward success while cautiously navigating the challenges associated with a continuously changing communication landscape.
As a graduate of the online Communication and Leadership Studies degree, you will be uniquely qualified for a variety of jobs and positions including, but not limited to:
- Advertising manager
- Marketing manager
- Communication manager
- Public relations manager
- Promotions manager
- Human resource manager
Employment Growth: The Facts
Employment for advertising and promotions managers to grow 13 percent from 2010 to 20201.
Employment for marketing managers will grow 14 percent from 2010 to 20201.
Employment of public relations managers and specialists to grow 21 percent from 2010 to 20202.
When you earn your Master of Arts in Communication and Leadership at Gonzaga, you’ll be able to show that you can handle the demands and challenges of strategic communication in a business landscape where constant change and innovation are the status quo.
1Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, accessed 4/10/13, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/advertising-promotions-and-marketing-managers.htm