- Optional study abroad and domestic immersions (3-day to two-week options) foster intercultural competence and expertise through experiential learning in places like Florence and Cagli, Italy, and Derry, Ireland.
- Take classes both online and on-campus
- Visiting Scholars and professionals offer seminars online and on-campus for credit and discuss emerging trends in the field.
- Internship and service-learning opportunities.
- Intensives develop practical communication skills in speaking, writing, and multimedia.
- Partnership with the Northwest Alliance for Responsible Media, an organization dedicated to promoting media literacy.
See what our students have to say about the COML Program! testimonials
The COML degree is ideal for those seeking opportunities and advancement in fields such as (but not limited to) public relations, marketing, broadcast news media, human resources, heath care, non-profits, community and public service, military, media management, strategic planning, and community college teaching.
This dynamic and flexible program is designed for a broad range of individuals, including recent graduates, small business owners, mid-career and senior managers, professionals, and organizational leaders. Gonzaga graduates are employed in a variety of capacities by organizations such as Boeing, Target, Teach for America, Caterpillar Inc., Google, NBC Universal, Fox TV, IKEA, Microsoft, Starbucks, Ben and Jerry’s, Disneyland, Verizon, T-Mobile, United Airlines, Red Cross, YMCA, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Kaiser Permanente, and all branches of the U. S. military. Graduates routinely present their work at professional research conferences and have been accepted with fellowships to excellent doctoral programs in communication and other fields
The following employment projections have been published for this field by the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- Employment for advertising and promotions managers will grow 12 percent from 2012 to 2022. The median income in 2012 was $115,750 per year/$55.65 per hour1.
- Employment for marketing managers will grow 12 percent from 2012 to 2022. The median income in 2012 was $115,750 per year/$55.65 per hour1.
- Employment of public relations specialists will grow 12 percent from 2012 to 2022. The median income in 2012 was $54,170 per year/$26.04 per hour2 .
- Employment for Postsecondary Teachers will grow 19 percent from 2012-2022. The median income in 2012 was $68,970 per year3 .
1Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/advertising-promotions-and-marketing-managers.htm
2Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook., http://www.bls.gov/ooh/media-and-communication/public-relations-specialists.htm
3Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook., http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/postsecondary-teachers.htm